Friday 15 April 2011

Strawberry and white chocolate cake

Hey everyone, I was recently asked to make a 21st birthday cake for a friend and got given the words 'strawberry or vanilla'...so here's what I made! It's my vanilla sponge (3 layers) sandwiched with fresh cream, strawberries and seived strawberry jam.


The chocolate straws or 'cigarellos' were made using small squares of acetate. I spread a thin layer or melted white or dark chocolate over the acetate and folded it into a straw shape and secured with cellotape. These then went into the freezer until I was ready to use them at the last minute (they cannot be handled for very long!) They are quite thick and as you can see I didn't quite have enough to cover the entire cake with no gaps :( but they still look great!


I finished it off with white chocolate ganache (heated cream, then stirred in white chocolate and allowed it to set slightly in the fridge until it was the right consistencey to spread) and some fresh strawberries and chocoate stars.

Really proud of this one, and got great comments from the buyer too...wohooo! This one will set you back £20 and is huge aswell so really worth it! I am still practicing and obviously no professional which is why my cakes are cheap :)
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment