Thursday 10 February 2011

Waybaloo Cake

This is a cake I made for my friends Laura and Mandy and their son Izak, for his first birthday! My sister helped a lot with this one and it was the first time I'd ever tried to colour ready to roll icing (very messy!) It's not perfect, a bit lump and bumpy but Izak loved it (even though he didn't really know what it was) :D



I did the cake by making two standard round sponges with the recipe I always use (really simple) = 350g butter, 350g caster sugar, 350g flour, 6 eggs, 5tsp baking powder, 2tsp of vanilla extract, 2 tbsp of room temperature milk. Makes a really good sponge!!

We used the edges of one cake and 'stuck' them on to a complete round one to try and make an oval shape. It was all pasted together with huge amounts of chocolate spread. The ready to roll icing that was coloured blue with paste (not liquid food colouring) was placed on top and tided up. Then another oval of icing was placed over, this time coloured 'teddy bear brown'. Mouth, eyes and chocolate button pupils made up the face and two little cupcake ears completed the look!

This was my first ever attempt at anything like this so not bad I think! Mostly all of the tins, icing and colouring I used was from Kitchens (on Whiteladies Road).

No comments:

Post a Comment